Wednesday, February 15, 2006

"PUT THE KNIVES DOWN AND TURN OFF THE MUSIC!"


"PUT THE KNIVES DOWN AND TURN OFF THE MUSIC!"

I was on my way to a home in which a deranged man had cut himself several times and then fled to a bedroom and locked himself inside. While his wife was on the phone with 911 the man could be heard in the background yelling that "when the cops get here I'm gonna kill them and myself!"
So here I was again driving to situation that most people would run from. while I'm driving I'm running scenarios through my head. Most of them are worst case. It's my way of mentally preparing to deal with these situations. I am someone who is deathly afraid of knives and being stabbed. There is something dreadful about the thought of someone being close enough to drive the steel into your body and then turn it this way and that, or even to eviscerate you. It's to personal, if I had the choice I would rather be shot.
I get within two miles of the house and my nerves start to tingle, I begin to get nervous, I am suddenly on edge and keenly aware of everything around me, it's like the world goes into slow motion for a moment. I can see a caterpillar in the road in front of my car, a bug flies past my windshield followed by a handful of leaves blowing this way and that, it's so slow it becomes bizarre. I am now just a few hundred yards from the driveway and it occurs to me that I don't know whether this guy has a gun or not. I realize that I am most vulnerable to gunfire while sitting in my car. I know that once I pull into the driveway I'm going to have to hit it hard. Out of the car and to the door in just a few seconds. I'm now at the end of the drive and pulling up to the house quickly, watching every window as I get out of the car and run towards the door.
I get to the door and am immediately overwhelmed by the sound of music blaring so loudly it makes my ears feel like they will start bleeding, some horrible tune, I think it was highway to hell by ac/dc. I bang on the door as hard as I can and almost immediately this enormous troll of a woman opens the door and starts yelling at me "He's in the bedroom and he's cut pretty bad!" "which bedroom?" I ask. She leads me to the room where the music is coming from, I can't stand this music. "Tell him to come out." I tell her, hoping he doesn't know I'm there yet and can catch him by surprise. She bangs on the door and calls his name and tells him to come out. No response. She looks at me and shrugs and goes back into the living room. I get my taser out and suddenly the bedroom door flies open.
There standing about ten feet from me is a thin white guy, he is holding two of the biggest knives I have ever seen out to either side. his head is angled down but he is looking right at me with crazy just spiraling in those eyes of his. He has long scraggly hair which is hanging down in his face, He is not wearing a shirt and I can see that not only has he been cutting his arms, but he has also carved several strange shapes into his chest and he was bleeding rampantly. The music is killing me, "Put down the knives turn off the music, come out and talk to me!" I scream at him. he doesn't respond so I give the order again, the red dot from my taser is on his chest. He breaks my stare and looks quickly at something in the general direction of whatever machine is churning out this awful music, he looks back at me, he starts slobbering and long strands of drool trail behind him as he points both knives at me and charges.
Everything goes back into that bizarre slow state I yell at him to stop then I pull the trigger on my taser. It doesn't deploy, he is now five feet away, I pull the trigger again, nothing, he is now four feet away and coming fast. I lower my taser and reach for my gun, my gun clears the holster he is now three feet away, I raise my weapon and he kicks the door shut. I try to catch it with my foot before it closes but I don't make it and he locks the door. I wonder if he was looking at a gun earlier and decide not to kick in the door, I can play the waiting game, and there is no one in the room he can harm other than himself. I decide to back away and ask the troll if he has any guns in the room. I make it about ten feet into the kitchen when the music stops and the bedroom door opens. He comes towards me with his hands hidden behind his back. This time instead of slowing down things move really fast. I decide to try my taser again, it's pointed at him, "Stop and show me your hands!" I order. He keeps advancing on me, hiding his hands. I give the order one more time but he keeps coming at me. I pull the tasers trigger, and hear a pop. The probes deploy and find their mark on his chest, I watch the barbed hooks dig into him, and I hear the electricity surging. He stiffens like a board and falls flat on his back, and stays that way the entire five seconds the electricity pulses through him. I get him handcuffed and have EMS come to treat the self inflicted wounds, fortunately none of them were life threatening, I took him to the hospital for mental evaluation and he was ultimately committed to a mental institution for several days. To my knowledge we have never had another call at that house again.

3 comments:

KayeshmeyA said...

That's some really scary stuff....

Jeez........

Makes one think!

KayeshmeyA said...

Wow!!!

And you actually REPLIED!!

I thought I'd bombed out or something .. !

Haha!! Mew Zealand is pretty boring... Well...you could say it's rather peaceful.

I mean it's NEWS when a dog bites a man....!!! :D

Imagine that???

Yes... I read your blog regularly ... It's giving a very original and different perspective on life...and that's really exciting for me.

I know how dangerous your job can be.... And I know it must get REALLY difficult at times... And I also know... that not a lot of people can handle that kind of pressure.

My life is boring (maybe not for you) ... I work as case manager in government insurance....FUN! I help people too. I help them get better after they've had accidents.

Ok...I've rambled on enough!

Hope to hear from you again...It would be great getting to know yoU!! :)

Cheers mate... as they down under! ;)

c2much said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.